Blondies are so underrated; brownies and cookies steal the show while these tasty hybrids somehow get lost in the mix. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had a blondie in my life, none of which are entirely memorable. This recipe is sure to change your mind for good about lackluster blondies. They’re just the right amount of thick, chewy, crumbly, decadent indulgence. The best part? The ingredient list isn’t frightening – they’re a healthy treat!
This is another recipe my boyfriend’s mom cut out of a magazine for me, which I easily adapted to be vegan! Of course I had to make some changes, I rarely follow recipes perfectly. The original recipe calls for quinoa flour, butter, and eggs; I subbed in brown rice flour, Earth Balance, and flax eggs. I would have loved to try quinoa flour but unfortunately I couldn’t find it and didn’t have enough quinoa to grind on my own and brown rice flour is almost an exact conversion!
If you’re a dedicated peanut butter lover and almond butter just doesn’t do it for you, have no fear! While almond butter is one of the main ingredients here, it’s light flavor isn’t overpowering in this recipe. It blends in nicely with the mix and adds a subtle nutty flavor without being the star of the show. I’m sure you could use peanut butter instead, but unless you have an allergy of some sort, I would stick with the almond butter. My boyfriend would never choose to eat almond butter over peanut butter, and he enjoyed these just as much as I did!
If you can stop yourself from eating the whole pan in one sitting, I give you serious credit. I’m just dreaming about the next time I make these. My boyfriend was kind enough to take all these beautiful photos of them as well! He patiently snapped away before devouring this plate 🙂
Original Recipe: Eating Well
– Ingredients –
1/4 cup softened Earth Balance stick
3/4 cup smooth, natural almond butter
2 flax eggs
3/4 cup organic brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
– Recipe –
1. Start by combining 2 tbsp ground flax seeds and 6 tbsp warm water in a small bowl. Stir and allow the mixture to sit. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350°F and lining a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Lightly oil the parchment paper as well.
2. Combine the Earth Balance and almond butter into a creamy mixture using a standup mixer. In a separate bowl, stir the brown rice flour baking powder, and salt together.
3. Add in the brown sugar and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Add in your flax eggs, which should be a slightly gel-like consistency, and mix well.
4. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and mix until ingredients are just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips!
5. Carefully pour the batter into the oiled and lined 8 x 8 baking pan. Be sure to spread the batter evenly so that blondies are relatively uniform in thickness and cook at the same rate.
6. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, using a toothpick test. Allow the blondie to cool completely (the hardest part) – around 45 minutes. After cooled, pull the parchment paper and lift the blondies out and onto a cutting board to be divided up.
7. Try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting…. Enjoy!